Thursday, January 28, 2010

shakespeare & company

After going to San Francisco Book Co. I still had some books to trade/sell and some extra time so I headed over to Shakespeare and Company bookshop. Once I exited the metro I got really turned around and my handdrawn map was not helping at all. I asked several people on the street but since I was in a touristy area no one really knew where I was trying to go. I found this old man and asked him for directions. He was the nicest old French man of my life!!!! I asked if he knew where a certain street was and he said no but he helped me anyways. We entered a shop together and asked 3 different cashier people, we looked in 2 guidebooks of Paris, and then ultimately went down in the metro station to look at the plan du quartier (a map with the local streets/shops posted in every metro exit). Then he walked me to the bookshop! He was seriously the happiest most helpful person in the world. He was so friendly and even let me take a photo with him!
Here it is, my favorite English bookshop in Paris (thus far):

Cookie this reminded me of you:

nice quotes:
In the Spring I would like to sit here:
I stood on this ladder for quite some time browsing their selection:
It's packed with books in every nook and cranny:
books, books, and more books!
Wonderful.
Incredible.
Glorious.
bookcases within bookcases, yes please.
Look at the stacks of books!!!! SO GOOD!
The upstairs is strictly for browsing/reading, nothing is for sale but everyone is encouraged to look, sit and read. What a lovely concept.

Shakespeare himself.
There is even a piano to play...
the stairs and stacks of books:
there is even a little place with a typewriter, you are encouraged to type.
I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!!!
The reading room:
As you can see the bookshop is along the Seine across from Notre Dame.
I got 14€ in trade credit so I got Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell, High Fidelty and About a Boy both by Nick Horby, and Fully Empowered by Pablo Neruda. I wanted to buy so many more but I narrowed it down to these four because of their length and size. The smaller the better because I can fit them in my purse and read them when I am on the go in the metro. Mmmm books.

No comments:

Post a Comment